Registered Patent Attorney Shareholder
Registered Patent Attorney Shareholder
C.J. focuses his practice on intellectual property disputes, including patent, trademark, and copyright enforcement and defense, domestically and internationally. He has extensive experience developing and coordinating global IP enforcement strategies for his clients throughout Europe and Asia.
C.J. has litigated and counseled clients on cases related to a variety of technologies, including fitness and recreation equipment, electrical and electromechanical systems, computer software and hardware, biodegradable polymers, pharmaceutical compounds, high-content cell analysis instruments for drug discovery, and medical and dental devices. He has also handled infringement litigation cases involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade dress.
Before joining Maschoff Brennan, C.J. practiced for 16 years as a litigator at a major IP law firm in Salt Lake City. He is licensed to practice law before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He has also been admitted to practice before many Federal District Courts, as well as before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal, Second, and Tenth Circuits.
As a native of northern Nevada, C.J. enjoys most outdoor sports, especially skiing, hiking, and fishing. C.J. also loves to travel with his wife and two children.
- J.D., University of Utah, 1993
- B.S., cum laude, University of Utah, 1988
- Emphasis in Economics and Life Sciences
- Patent Infringement
- Trademark Infringement
- Copyright Infringement
- Trade Dress Infringement
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets
- Breach of Contract
- Unfair Business Practices
- Actions Before the International Trade Commission
- Patent and Trademark Oppositions/Cancellation proceedings
- U.S. and Foreign Licensing of Intellectual Property Rights, Including Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Trade Secrets and Know How
- Non-Competition Covenants
- Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Assignments of Intellectual Property Rights
- Patentability Opinions
- Trademark Searches and Clearance Opinions
- Patent Infringement Opinions
- Due Diligence Investigations of IP Portfolios During Acquisition or Merger Transactions
- Defensive Opinions of Non-infringement and Design Around Strategies
- Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Mechanics & Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & Electrical Engineering
- Computer Systems, Software, E-Commerce, Business Methods & Information Technology
- Physics & Optics
- Agriculture Science
Professional Admissions & Associations
- Utah State Bar
- Nevada State Bar
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- American Bar Association
Publications, Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- “Navigating Copyright Law in the World of Social Media,” Utah Business Magazine Webinar (September 23, 2020).
- “Bifurcation of Patent Damages, Willful Infringement and Attorney’s Fees in Trial Proceedings” presented to the American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property, Winter Meeting 1995.
- “Enforcement and Defense of U.S. Patent Rights” presented to the Licensing Executive Society, Winter Meeting 2003.
Awards & Recognition
- U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers; Litigation – Intellectual Property, and Litigation – Patent (2018 – 2023)
- Chambers USA (2019 – 2022)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (2009 – 2022)
News and Articles
- Maschoff Brennan Earns Top-Tier Ranking in Chambers USA 2023, Four Individual Shareholders Also Recognized For Excellence
- Maschoff Brennan Attorneys Once Again Recognized by Best Lawyers and U.S. News & World Report
- Eight Maschoff Brennan Attorneys Named to Mountain States Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Maschoff Brennan Ranked Band One by Chambers USA, Additional Band One Ranking for Eric Maschoff
- How to Leverage Your Trade Dress
- Maschoff Brennan Welcomes Two New Attorneys to Litigation Team
- Record Number of Maschoff Brennan Lawyers Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2022 Guide
- Maschoff Brennan Tops 2021 Chambers USA with Band One Rankings for the Firm and Eric Maschoff
- Maschoff Brennan Welcomes New Associate Attorney
- Webinar – Navigating Copyright Law in the World of Social Media