Attorney at Law Shareholder
Attorney at Law Shareholder
Clients trust Mike because he immerses himself in their businesses to gain an understanding of how legal issues fit into the overall business objectives. This leads to a highly pragmatic approach to advising clients. Mike believes in a cost-effective approach that balances risk and reward in a manner that is sensible for each issue, for each client, in each context. Whether he is providing infringement/validity opinions or leading business-critical patent, trademark, trade secret, and unfair competition cases – Mike advocates for his clients and helps them enforce intellectual property rights without losing sight of business goals. Always looking ahead to the ultimate business objective, he keeps strategies focused, tactics efficient, and lines of communication open.
His responsive, detail-oriented, and personal approach to client services allows him to see the big picture and focus on the key issues at stake. Mike is also a problem solver – helping resolve a wide range of disputes by approaching each conflict with creativity, ingenuity, and experience. Because of this, Mike is often called in to handle intricate, complicated litigation issues that require innovative approaches. From initial strategy, discovery, claim construction, and handling all aspects of trial preparation and trial, Mike’s experience has touched on all phases of litigation. His clients range from individuals and startups to established brands worth hundreds of millions of dollars in the mechanical, solar, and consumer products industries. Mike has successfully represented his client’s interests in state and federal courts throughout the country, the International Trade Commission, the American Arbitration Association and International Centre for Dispute Resolution, and in foreign courts and courts of appeal.
Before joining Maschoff Brennan, Mike wore many hats at a Texas real estate and investment company that owned and operated thousands of apartments and managed a loan portfolio worth approximately $100 million. Because of his in-house experience working with outside law firms, Mike knows first-hand what exceptional client service looks like and how lawyers can best help clients accomplish their business objectives.
He graduated cum laude and as a member of the Order of the Barristers from the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University, where he served as an Executive Editor of the BYU Journal of Public Law. During law school, he won several oral advocacy competitions, culminating in winning the National Championship at the American Bar Association’s National Appellate Advocacy Competition.
Outside of work, Mike enjoys playing golf with his wife and being outdoors. He’s an avid biker (mountain and road) and has built several local mountain bike trails.
- J.D., cum laude, J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, 2007
- B.S., Brigham Young University, 2003
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Breach of Contract
Professional Admissions & Associations
- Utah State Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Utah
- Aldon J. Anderson Inn of Court
- Linn Intellectual Property Inn of Court
Publications, Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- “Help! What Can I Do if the Coronavirus Is Potentially Interfering With My Contracts?,” Maschoff Brennan Webinar, (April, 2020)
Awards & Recognition
- Named to Utah Business Magazine’s Legal Elite (2016)
- National Champion – 2007 ABA NAAC National Moot Court Competition, Chicago, Illinois
- Tournament Champion – 2006 Luke Charles Moore Invitational Moot Court Competition, Washington, D.C.
- BYU Journal of Public Law, Executive Editor, 2006-2007
- Recipient, American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence, 2007
News and Articles
- “Help! What Can I Do if the Coronavirus Is Potentially Interfering With My Contracts?”
- License and Acquisition, Please
- Eight Maschoff Brennan Attorneys Named to Utah Business Magazine’s Legal Elite
- Maschoff Brennan Elects Five New Shareholders
- Eleven Maschoff Brennan Attorneys Named to Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Ten Maschoff Brennan Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers