Michael I. Katz
Attorney at Law Shareholder
Michael I. Katz
Attorney at Law Shareholder
Michael I. Katz is highly regarded for his combination of creativity, strategic judgment, and courtroom prowess. He has twenty-five years of experience litigating complex business disputes, including intellectual property, software-related disputes, unfair competition, and business disputes of all kinds. He excels at listening to his clients and tailoring solutions to meet their specific needs.
Michael was formerly a partner at Morrison & Foerster, before running his own firm, Katz & Yoon LLP. He began his career at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Barbara B. Crabb, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin.
Michael is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial honorary society. He has been selected as a “Super lawyer®” for Southern California every year from 2004 through 2018 and has been selected by his peers for inclusion in U.S. News & World Reports Best Lawyers in America® for Intellectual Property since 2016. He is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell®.
- J.D., New York University School of Law
- A.B., cum laude, Harvard College
- Business Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Software Disputes
- Trade Secrets
Professional Admissions & Associations
- California State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Adjunct Law Professor, Trade Secrets Law, University of California Irvine School of Law
- Board of Directors, Two Worlds Dance Foundation (2017-present)
- Board of Directors, Pacific Symphony (2015-2017)
- Board of Directors, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation (2013-2014)
Awards & Recognition
- Named to Best Lawyers in America for Litigation – Intellectual Property and Commercial Litigation
- Listed in Southern California Super Lawyers
Trade Secret Litigation
- BROADCOM, INC. v. SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES: Obtained walk-away settlement for five SpaceX engineers in trade secret misappropriation case involving the design of phased array satellite communication chipset and related technology.
- TECHNOLOGENT v. OnX: Defended trade secret misappropriation claim, including prevailing on a motion for terminating sanctions for discovery abuse.
- MRV COMMUNICATIONS v. ZONU: Defended a fiber optic component manufacturer in a bet the company unfair competition and trade secret misappropriation case, obtaining terminating sanctions.
- RE3W v. FIRST AMERICAN: Defended claims of trade secret misappropriation, breach of oral joint venture agreement, and breach of fiduciary duty in connection with commercial real estate app.
- HERBALIFE v. GLOBENET: Obtained a preliminary and permanent injunction on behalf of Herbalife on claims of theft of trade secrets of their MLM business model, and for software development.
- RED DIGITAL CINEMA CAMERA v. USABILITY PRO: Represented software developer against claims alleging failed software development.
- CUSTER v. MACHINE TOOL SUPPLY: Obtained favorable settlement after arbitration on behalf of a company against a minority shareholder alleging wrongful dilution of shares.
- GEORGE v. YNUC: Prevailed at trial in partnership dispute over ownership of urgent care management company.
- MLINAR v. NOBLES MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY: Represented company against aggrieved investor alleging fraud in the sale of shares.
- ON THE GO v. AT&T et al.: Represented Cricket Communications against claims of patent infringement and prosecuted claims of patent invalidity and unenforceability involving handset-enabled electronic commerce.
- ANGEION CORPORATION v. CARDIAC PACEMAKERS: Prevailed on summary judgment in patent infringement case involving implantable heart defibrillator technology, obtaining a $35 million settlement.
- GRAPHIC PROPERTIES HOLDINGS v. VIZIO: Represented the defendant against a charge of patent infringement regarding LCD panels, TV circuits, and video processing.
- MEC v. MINDSPEED: Defended a patent infringement action involving ARM’s pipelined processor technology.
Copyright, Trademark and Right of Publicity Litigation
- QUEST SOFTWARE v. DIRECTV: Obtained walkaway settlement for DIRECTV in an action for copyright infringement and breach of software licensing agreement.
- GRINDR SOFTWARE THEFT INVESTIGATION: Managed investigation for social networking app Grindr regarding alleged theft and copyright infringement of software source code.
- JADE COSMETICS v. DANG: Represented party in trademark infringement and ownership dispute involving a fast growing cosmetics company.
- HANNAH v. CURRIE TECHNOLOGIES INC.: Successfully represent the actress, Daryl Hannah, in right of publicity suit against ecofriendly bicycle company for improper use of her image.
Class Action Litigation
- McDONALD’S PROMOTIONAL GAMES MDL LITIGATION: Represented McDonald’s vendor Simon Marketing in over thirty class actions nationwide and in California alleging unlawful conduct of promotional games.
- DAVIS v. ELECTRONIC ARTS: Represented retired NFLers in class action lawsuit alleging improper use of player’s likeness in the Madden NFL videogames.
- STRADER v. PHH CORPORATION: Represented homeowners in class action against Realogy and PHH alleging violations of the Real Estate Settlement Practices Act.
News and Articles